My Blog List

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Prayers to the Fairies of Fiber Yumminess (FOFY)

Hello everyone! Its been a while since I have posted anything...and for that I am ASHAMED!!! I have been expanding my mind and my fiber skills and also broadening my horizons in the world of the fiber arts.

Since my last post, I have come to love, adore, obsess, dream  and even learn a little more about spinning, weaving, knitting, dyeing and still learning how to sell it all. So lets start from the top and I'll let you know about each of these little adventures that I have fallen so in LOVE with.

1. Spinning -- I decided that it would be awesome to learn to spin my own yarn to crochet with, so I went to Michael's and purchased some cheap felting wool, purchased a little turkish drop spindle from Knitpicks.com and went to town....I fell in LURVE!!!!!  Since then, I have bought a couple other spindles and a few pounds of good quality wool and been spinning until I get dizzy. I have spun one that I have posted in the Etsy shop and have another to list. This process would go MUCH faster if the spinning wheel fairy would deliver a spinning wheel to my door. **HINT HINT**  LOL


2. Weaving -- My honey agreed to go to my first fiber festival with me a few weeks ago in Vicksburg, MS, which  was amazing since its rare to find something like that so close to us. We went to the Magnolia State Fiber Festival and had a wonderful time. We got to feel all the different types of fiber, spent too much money and got really interested in weaving (the both of us). He even sat down at  loom and gave it a whirl. It was AWESOME and now we are both itching to get us a rigid heddle loom. Once again, we call up on the FOFY to deliver us a loom LOL.

3. Knitting -- SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! I LEARNED TO KNIT!!!  I had so much trouble in my several previous attempt that I was so frustrated. But one night, I got kinda antsy and couldn't think of anything to do. I found the one pair of knitting needles that I had (I was only using them in my makeshift lazy kate for plying when I spin), looked up some knitting videos on YouTube and didn't stop until I knew how to cast on, knit, purl, and bind off. And behold, the FOFY put that understanding into my mind and I've been going ever since. I now know a little about increases and decreases and have made some fingerless gloves and a hat (working on another). Now for the FOFY to drop an interchangeable circular needles on my doorstep LOL.


4. Dyeing -- I love to dye yarn. It is SO much fun and the honey and I can really bond over the experimentation with colors. I only use food color type dyes because of our small living space and the little demon running around, I just don't think chemical dyes are a a good idea. AND I can use the same pots and utensils  for cooking and for dyeing. I am having so much fun and its time to get in the kitchen and cook up some more awesome colorways.


Thank you all for allowing me to share my mad rantings with you. Until next time, Peace Love and Fiber :)

No comments:

Post a Comment